Translate

Monday 2 July 2007

Perch and more perch

Its been over a month since I last wet a line and a trip has been long over due. I managed to snatch a few hours tonight at my local venue, the reservoir. With the venue selected ( its closest! ) all I needed to do was decide what I was going to be chasing. In a round about way Pete and little Jim decided for me, they are currently in in Germany chasing huge carp and have taken my swingers and optonics so it was a fairly easy choice to go for perch and what ever I could muster on a float rod with magots.
A large lob worm on a size 12 finished off a sliding paternoster rig ang and this was fished against a likely looking weed bed, an optonic and ultra light bobins were the final touch. I also fished a float rod to see what else might come my way and this was baited with 2 maggots on a size 16 hook.
From the word go I had action on both rods with small perch on the maggots and more small perch harrassing the worm. The bites on the ledger set up were fairly wild though the amount i missed led me to believe they were only small perch scurrying about with the worm. My plan was to wade through the smaller fish in the hope of picking up some better ones but alas it never quite worked out and the best I managed was a couple of fish about 6 to 8oz.
I had been feeding a small amount of corn and pellet alongside the maggots on the float line and mid evening the float slid away again but this time it was something a little different. I managed to gain a little line but then the fish turned and ran leaving a huge bow wave and me minus a hook.
The small perch kept coming untill nearly dusk when both rods went quiet. All in all it was a great night and felt great to be back on the bank.

No comments: