Translate

Sunday 29 July 2007

Chasing carp

Work is a bit thin on the ground at the moment which apart from the obvious financial drawbacks means its good news for fishing.
Last week I hit my local venue just after dawn, I arrived to find that I had the whole place to myself and was supremely confident. I picked a spot with a short cast tight against a weed bed and the second rod walked down and placed in front of a bed of reeds. Both rods were armed with small PVA mesh bags and surounded by a bed of pellet and broken boilies. I've recently switched from placing the lead and hook link into a bag along with the freebies to a tube and stocking arangement. The larger bags I found floated too long and melted on or near the surface dropping their contents over a larger area. The new ( to me ) system is smaller in volume and sinks faster. My only reservation is I'm not confident that merely hooking the bag is secure enough for anything more than a gentle lob, hence I use a small piece of PVA tape to secure the bag to the lead then pass the hook into the mesh bag.
So with Mainline active 8 and halibut pellets I went to work! Other than the odd twitch against the weed bed my rods stayed silent untill about 3 pm when off went the weed bed rod. At first I thought I'd missed the run untill I saw a flash of silver and a bream rolled just under the surface. The venue does quite well for bream and many of the old fish reach double figures athough this one was somewhere around 3lb. And that was that for the day.
I'm fairly sure that it was just a case of no fish in my swim as untill I was nearly ready to pack up there was no sign of a carp anywhere near my baits and certainly no line bites.
If the lack of work persists then I'll be back on wednesday for another go only this time I'm going to fish black eyed beans on one of the rods, I remember 2 very good friends of mine doing very well on the venue with them albeit nearly 20 years ago.
We'll see!!!

No comments: