Translate

Monday 23 July 2007

Farlows, July part 2

It appears the gods were still shining on me because the next evening brought a similar early finish and good weather.This time though, still with no bollies I knew it was tench I was going to target. I still Favoured the bottom corner because its close to the gate where my car would be and while talking to one of the regulars he recomended a peg opposite a reed bed. I set a ledger rod on a sliding paternoster and a float rod both baited with corn. The ledger rod was positioned against the reeds while I fished the float rod off a large bush to my right.
Right from the off the light wieght bobins were on the move but eventually I got a positive bite and hooked into something reasonable. Tench? Small carp? Within a few seconds the fish managed to shed the hook in some submerged weed and was gone.
A few small bream came to the float and fought reasonably on the light tackle along with a couple of roach.
Around mid evening I started to see the reed stems moving, a sure sign a carp or 2 had found the bed of corn freebies. Sure enough a few minutes later the indicator whacked into the rod and a bow wave made off down the reeds. as soon as I conected with the fish the hook came adrift.
The reed line never recovered from that incident and although I took a few more bream I again had that wasted opportunity feeling. Oh yeah and still no tench.
So, any lessons learnt? I was fishing 2 rods and with activety on both rods I feel my attention was divided, maybe I'll stick to 1 rod next time. Secondly I feel I was fishing a bit light for what may come along so I'll upgrade to 6lb line with 5lb hook link. I also seemed to get my ledger bait twitched and hung up in the weed stems so I'll use a float instead.
Wonder what time we'll get finished this week!!

No comments: