Translate

Wednesday 17 January 2018

Leader Knots

I had a small issue last night. An issue that irritated me beyond all belief and mainly because it was my fault.
On mainly sand beaches I opted to use 30lb braided main line in order to try and steal an extra few yards, to make it safer to cast I also attached a 60lb mono shock leader connected with an Alberto knot. The stub of the shock leader really rattles through the rod rings and I had the distinct impression it caused the lead to slightly falter in the initial phase of the cast.

Last night during my second cast the lead appeared to falter slightly and at the same time a knot of braid caught around the first rod ring and the braid mail line parted. During a previous session a similar thing happened but the line stayed intact.
I blamed the leader knot but it also has come to light that I may have over filled my spool which can cause wind knots. With these 2 issues in mind I have decided to strip some line off the spool and switch to an FG knot.












I swapped out my spool during the session and with 60lb braid and a decent sized bait my best cast was 95 yards with consistent casts between 80 to 90 yards. I'm looking forward to seeing what distance I can get with 30lb braid and a bit more confidence.

No comments: