Translate

Sunday 7 January 2018

Hard Won Worms

My beach fishing mate and teacher rang me one evening last week and invited me down at low tide for a worm digging lesson. We were targeting black lugworm, or yellow tails, that live in deep borrows at the low tide line. Because of the position on the beach that they live its best to target them on a lower tide ie less than 1m above tide datum and so for this reason I found myself on the beach in the pouring rain and pitch black!
Martin showed me the method he uses to dig the black lug and I went off to hone my method and managed 1 worm to his 2. One of the reasons for this, other than my inexperience was the width of my shovel which made my digging heavier and therefore slower giving the worm a sporting chance of escape! The very next day I was in B and Q purchasing a narrow bladed shovel.
Lugworm come neck and neck or slightly runner-up only to crab in the cod bait stakes and black lugworm are head and shoulders above blow lugworm. As I'm not using them within the week I opted to freeze my nights work.

No comments: