Translate

Wednesday 20 June 2018

Old School Chub

I visited my club controlled section of of the River Tees at Low Dinsdale last night and found it low and clear, well I say clear but the Tees always has a peaty tinge to it. I approached it using a link ledger set up with cubes of luncheon meat as bait. The beauty of link ledger is that its easy and quick to add or remove weight. I'm no expert on fishing for chub but I'd like to think I can at least deal with the basics.
My first swim was a favourite of mine of previous trips but I failed to get a single bite other than an occasional knock or twitch on the tip.
 My next swim was alongside some bankside snags and earned me a savage take and a 3 1/2lb chub in the net. My last swim was a lot more open and and I was able to swing the rig onto the edge of a crease in the flow where the gravel sloped steeply into the deeper and faster channel and it wasn't long before a 4lb 5oz chub slid into net after a spirited fight.




Both fish were hollow, presumably after spawning, and by the winter would hopefully have filled out a bit. I'm looking forward to returning with my float rod and a bucket of bread.

No comments: