Translate

Monday 27 July 2009

sell sell sell

I've got my cynical head on today. If you read back through some of my ramblings you'll find me ranting against real tree cam and such like and I'm afraid I'm at it again.
I was reading through the Angling Times today and finally reached crital mass against advertisement dressed up as advice. Des Taylor and Martin Bowler are the two culprits who spring to mind but there are plenty of others.
Now we all know someone (not just in fishing) who will buy, go or do anything that is recomended, in angling its worse because we have such little time on the bank that we want to try to eliminate any dead ends to maximise our precious free time. The part that really annoys me is that angling journalists drop sponsered products into articles disguised as good old free advice. Mr Bowler went through a phase of recomending anything produced by Drennan, even floats. Now call me a cynic but providing it floats its a float. Good old Des is constantly plugging his own bait line. Now not only are these people pulling the wool over our eyes but theyre on a double whamey earner to boot. They get paid to write articles by the publication and in doing so also get paid by their sponser to get their products named and recomended.
Phew I'm nearly done. Dont get dragged in to following names and trends, take the methods on board, use them as part of your armourey and shop around. I'll give you one last tip, in the late 80's and 90's there were at least a dozen brands of line all advertising and drawing you in, but there were only 4 manufacturers producing them. Look around your tackle shop, the same item in the same design and many manufacturers but whats the difference between the most expensive and the cheapest? NOT A LOT!
Spleen vented.

No comments: