Translate

Tuesday 26 February 2008

Indicators


In the beginning there was floats, these in my opinion when properly set up are the most sensitive form of bite detection. Unfortunatly watching a motionless float for more than a few hours quickly becomes tiring and float fishing isnt always ideal. For ledgering one of the earliest bite idicators was a piece of silver paper on the line between the first 2 rod rings. The main problem with free hanging bobbins is that they can blow sideways and make bites difficult to spot.
I've seen all sorts in the chase for bite detection from pennys rested on reel handles balenced over tin cans and washing up bottle tops as bobbins.
This problem was initially solved by rolling the silver paper into a tube and slotting it onto a rod pushed into the ground to prevent sideways motion. In later years this technique was refined to a plastic tube which slid up and down on a PTFE coated needle and gained the name 'Monkey Climber' and was the be all and all in carp fishing. And thats where I left the game.
When I re entered 12 years on I found things had changed somewhat and instead I was led in a different direction. Thats when the Fox mk2 swingers made it below my optonics. I found the swingers had 2 main advantages 1, they are unaffected by side winds, and 2, with a sliding counter wieght they can be set for a huge range of resistance. The attention to detail is great with a low friction line clip and a resessed drilling for a luminous isotobe. At £15.99 each in my mind they make the most reliable and versatile option on the market.

No comments: