Translate

Friday 9 March 2007

Return

As the forcast predicted it was indeed cold and windy for my first trip back to the reservoir where I really started fishing. What surprised me most was the excitement I felt as I drove up the track.
Things hadn't changed much though there were more trees and overhanging bushes than there had been on my last trip, that was more than 15 years ago. I chose a swim out of the wind and was pleasantly surprised by how warm it was in the sun. My original plan was to fish only a float rod for roach and perch but on seeing the old place I couldnt resist putting a carp rod down the margin. Throughout the day there were several dips and lifts on the wagler but nothing to call a solid bite, a blank was definitely on for my first trip back. With only an hour or two to go I made an effort and dropped to a size 22 hook and dotted the float right down, this resulted almost imeadiately in a bite. Relief! A small roach was swung to hand followed by 2 more which manage to shed the hook and a few that didnt. Then the perch seemed to move in amongst the roach but not one was over 4 inches long. It also appeared that the bites came within a few minutes of being cast.
So the lessons learnt today? Well when its quiet it definitely pays to keep busy and go fine with the tackle with regular recasting. I also learnt that all the carp lads are fishing boilies on stringers with no sign of any particles .................. that'll be 10 kilos of black eyed beans then please! I reckon that doing something completely different on the bait front will pay off.
Apparently theres some good perch in the water too but no one seems to target them so that'll be another trip.
Work is taking me south for a week or two, I might just scrape a day piking on the Thames at Chertsey before the curtain goes down on this season but I'll let you know!

No comments: